Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lollapalooza (Sonic Youth) at Randall's Island, NYC (7/28/1995)


I started listening to Sonic Youth when I was 13, the year Goo was released. I spent a lot of time painting in the basement that summer to a soundtrack of Sonic Youth and Jimi Hendrix. This show marked the first of a gazillion times I would see Sonic Youth. Back then, I thought Kim was the bee's knees. I'm now, and will forever be, all about Lee.

Wikipedia told me that the following bands played Lollapalooza that day: Sonic Youth, Hole, Cypress Hill, Pavement, Elastica, Beck, The Jesus Lizard, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones on the main stage. Of all the bands listed on the side stage, I can only confirm that the Dambuilders played. As for who I remember seeing that day, it's a pathetically small list: Sonic Youth, Hole, Cypress Hill, and Beck, who was pelted by fistfulls of muddy grass. (Although I didn't participate in this assault on the poor guy, it would take me about three or four more years to learn to appreciate his genius.)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there! And remember seeing the exact same bands, strangely enough.

    ReplyDelete