Saturday, December 27, 2008

Beastie Boys, Rollins Band, DaLenchMob at Livingston College Gym, Piscataway, NJ (11/8/1992)


November 8, 1992, marks one of my brother's finest moments. My brother was just a few weeks into his first year at Rutgers College when he told me that the Rollins Band (one of my favorite bands at the time) would soon be playing his school. A few weeks before the show, he told me that tickets had sold out before he could get some. I was sad, but soon bounced back.

He invited me to an art opening on the night of November 8 (coincidentally the same night as the show) and, much to my surprise, my mom let me go to New Brunswick on a school night. Before I left the house, my mom asked what I was wearing. After I told her, she suggested that I wear my Rollins Band t-shirt. (Why I still didn't think I would be going to the show at this point is really pathetic, right?)

After I arrived in New Brunswick, I believe we went to eat at Wendy's and then my brother handed me some tickets. I flipped them over and learned that my brother tricked me and I would be seeing Henry Rollins and his way too short shorts after all.

My brother made me stay on the bleachers throughout the show. But, I think I would have been nervous on the floor anyway. (I had to keep my baja on -- yes, a baja! -- because I changed into that damn Rollins t-shirt before I left the house.)

The next day in school people were pretty jealous that I saw the Beastie Boys. But, for me, the night was all about the Rollins Band and my brother winning the Lifetime Best Sibling Award before he turned 20 years old.

8 comments:

  1. I was there, and it was the only show I lost my ticket stub to. Thanks for reprinting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at this show, It was so great! so memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone have pics? Also they did a remix to New Style, I can't find it anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a junior that year and was so stoked. I was crowd surfing during the Rollins Band and the bouncer at the front grabbed me and pulled me down and threw me out the back door. I was so bummed that I would miss the Beasties, not to mention freezing because my jacket was inside, so I went around the front, rolled up a $20 bill and handed it to the kid taking tickets and I was back inside. Missed all of 5 minutes. Epic night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a chance I can get a hi resolution scan of your Beastie Boys pictured above? I was at the same show, however the top half was ripped off. I am making a shirt and need the bottom half for the date and location info.

    ReplyDelete