Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hippie Summer/Fall at various locations in NY, NJ, PA (1994)





One of you believes that I should keep my hippie past in the closet, but I don't want to keep secrets from you. There was a time during high school that I had a crush on a hippie. He liked The Dead and he wore tie-dyed t-shirts to school. He drove a Volvo station wagon and he was the president of our student earth group. (I was the VP until I became the president because my crush was too high to attend the meetings.)

These shows are a bit of a blur, but here goes:

1. Phish at the Garden State Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ (7/2/1994): I do not remember this show at all. I already had my driver's license and I bet Sara (my great friend who is now a DVM in England and was the reason I got a ticket for going 89 in a 55 zone when I was 18) went with me.

2. H.O.R.D.E. Festival at Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, PA (8/24/1994): My parents would not let me drive to Philly so Sara (see above) convinced her friend Olivia to take us. Olivia was 25 (I was 17, Sara was 16). Olivia seemed sooooo old to me. I didn't understand why she wanted to hang around us kids, but I was glad she drove us. She had this super old car that could only go about 45 on the highway. It was a slow but awesome ride. I think I drank some hooch out of an Igloo container that some old dude passed us. Olivia was cool and watched out for us, though.

3. H.O.R.D.E. Festival at Garden State Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ (9/6/1994): I remember nothing about this show. Please be aware that my favorite band was still (the) Pixies at this time.

4. God Street Wine at Irving Plaza, NYC (10/8/1994): So, the kid I had a crush on and his BFF drove the three us into the city that night. We were dumb suburban kids, so of course we drove down a one way street the wrong way. Why do parents allow 17 year olds to leave home? And then drive to the city? And wear tie dye?

Fork Hippies.

3 comments:

  1. You are a brave one for admitting some of these shows. That said we have all gone to embarrassing shows for the sake of trying to impress or hang with someone.
    Was this all the summer of patchouli?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I have no idea why my name is rrrrr, I hate blogger.
    rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I dated a hippy, too. But I never went this far.

    ReplyDelete